being catholic
Monday, December 29, 2014
Hi everyone, today's post is might be kinda lengthy. And if you do not like reading about religion, i suggest you do not read this. I have been thinking about some stuff relating to my religion after what my sister and other family members said. A few months ago, my sister and I were discussing the topic, when she said something that got me thinking. She said, " Do you really expect me to believe that we derived from apes? That is not possible, you think monkeys can become so smart? It is not possible."
Yes I agree it sounds a little ridiculous but believing that the whole world appeared almost like magic because god made is also equally crazy. I was brought up in the Christian religion, I was taught about God and his works on how he made the earth and everything. But thats the thing, everyone is brought up in their own way. They have different beliefs. People would think we are equally crazy to believe things said in the bible because it is "just a book" and who knows if its real.
There are tons of evidence about the human evolution, Darwin's theory clearly shows us proof of how the certain cells can be passed on to their offspring and form something different in the end.

Using the pictures at the side, I will explain to you how it works. These birds are of different species but there are similarities seen because of the various genes carried on from one of the species to another. This passing on of genes is what is known as "transmutation", where something transforms into something else or in this case, changes from one species to another. This is Darwin's theory. He said that humans were created the same way. Over the billions of years, we were not born to see, there were so many creatures and animals, and those were what we evolved from, according to darwin. Taking bits of genetic material from one species and transferring it to another and finally becoming humans. From looking at the way the birds change, this theory is somewhat believable judging from the endless species of creatures out there.
Another evidence would be Thomas Huxley. His theory is similar to Darwin's but he has his own take that makes these two DIFFERENT. His theory was that we evolved from apes. Studying the various skull shapes from apes, gibbons and others of that sort. I mean the resemblance of these creatures fit us humans more than any others. The skull shapes that took months of research and studying contributed by Dr Richard Leakey having found fossils from the past.
Both ways, these theories have evidence that are right there in front of our faces to believe, and yet my family are very very strong in their catholic belief. My sister once scolded me saying," Oh? you do not want to go to church? it means you do not love god." Thats how religious they are. But look, religion is not all about your love for god, it is also about your actions, the way you treat people. So lets move on to my thoughts on my religion, or the one i was brought up with.
What Sin is
The Bible says that everyone has sinned, and the types of things that are considered sin include:
- Any actions that have resulted in the deliberate harm of others, or their accidental harm through our negligence or indifference to the consequences of our actions;
- Any words we have spoken to hurt others or which have been likely to harm their reputation without good reason;
- Any thoughts we have had of harming others or seeking selfish pleasure, or doing anything else we know in our heart of hearts to be wrong;
- Any time we have acted from selfish motives;
- Any time we have not done good when we should have done -
Any time we did any of these things - we were sinning.
Credits: here
As stated above, anything of that sort would be counted as a sin, wouldn't that make my siblings sinners on a regular basis? I am bringing them up because they are the ones in church ministries and always pick on me about not being in one and brag about how they are so involved in the church and its activities. I myself sin a lot, and i know that but shouldn't they be more aware of this than me? since they are part of the church and everything. I am doubting myself and my religion because of what they say about the religion and the way the act.
I have done many things in the past which i know is wrong and have asked for forgiveness in church during confession, but writing this post has made me do a lot of research which led to me finding out more about my religion. Some of which include, "Drunkenness and Why it is wrong" and " Lustful and Nasty Thoughts". Both of which I am guilty of. I am aware of the deadly sins, i just never new about drunkenness and it being bad. Alcohol is harmful, but i was never taught about it. I have been drunk and reading the articles I feel like I have sinned. In Proverbs 23, verse 21, it says "Drunkards and gluttons will be reduced to poverty. If all you do is eat and sleep, you will soon be wearing rags." Which scares me a lot because i am sleeping so much during the holidays doing nothing productive whatsoever. I do not want to end up living on the streets or wearing rags.
See i know whats right but we all have a choice in everything. I once asked my mom, " the old testament states that we are not allowed to eat pork, so why do we?" She, clearly did not know the answer, said, " because we are chinese and asked me to ask a priest". I am not trying to go against her, its because she is against homosexuality, supporting her argument by saying god does not allow it and it is against our religion. But Pope Francis said once,"If a person is gay and seeks the Lord and has good will, well who am I to judge them?" Pope Francis's words show acceptance, i mean it is legit, if love god with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your strength, is that not enough? Having said that, lets go back to the pork thing. In Leviticus Chapter 11, verse 7-8, it states, "And the pig, because it parts the hoof and is cloven-footed but does not chew the cud, is unclean to you. You shall not eat any of their flesh, and you shall not touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you." My mom said that its not being followed anymore because its from the old testament and times have changed... I mean look, the 10 commandments given to moses were also from the old testaments and they are still very much followed in the catholic church. So is it not confusing? Telling me you do not follow one of the rules but follow another?
There are many things we do not know about religion. And yet we call ourselves catholics. During the month of rosary (october 2014), I said the rosary more than anyone in my family. And i was in bali! Its not a competition, but they (my family) always have something to say about me when i do not join them for a family prayer session. what are we doing? I commit to church every week and i know for a fact i am drifting from my religion. I feel it is a chore to get up and pray to god. When i am at church i do not know what to pray for except for my personal needs and everyone's safety and health. I curse a lot. In school, its normal. everyone is doing it. My sister once said ," Fuck it la" after being yelled by my mom for not doing the ironing right. And they just kept quiet. But for me, I put 1 sticker on my laptop that says "fuck the rules" and they get all worked up telling me to remove it. Today i said " diu leh loh mo" as a joke and my dad started telling me how i will get shot in Hong Kong and how i did not know how to use the words. I know what it means and i am not that dysfunctional to go tell people that. And why will i be in hong kong. i am so broke. It was a joke, maybe they are too uptight for it. Thats what ruin trips and outings. THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TAKE JOKES and get so offended. who would want to hang out with them. Anyway, in the bible, Ephesians chapter 5, verse 4 says," Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving. " Another thing i did not know about till today. So i guess my siblings did not know too since they are using it.
So many NO-NOs in the catholic faith, no wonder heaven is such a difficult place to get to. But i am happy, so long as i do not reject god, i know i can make it there. I knew about Purgatory when i was 14? It is where we catholics go, my mom said its somewhere like earth, and thats all. But how would she know, she's never been there. After reading up, i found out that purgatory is a place for us to get another shot at going to heaven. Cause you know, in heaven, there is a gate, where god will review records of your good deeds and judge you on whether you are good enough to go to heaven. If you are not good enough, you will go to purgatory. It is said that you get to intercede with saints there. I did not know that, but now that i do, i am feeling kinda happy. Imagine meeting a saint? saints are amazing, they go through so much to get to where they are. I feel terrible, i haven't followed my confirmation saint's footsteps ever since i got confirmed. Okay maybe i have, she is the patron saint of laughter, Sarah. she is the wife of Abraham and when she was 90 she gave birth to her first child (Isaac meaning laughter) after an angel appeared to her in a dream. So i wanted to make people laugh, idk it seems i am doing an okay job since my friends laugh a lot. not always because of me though.
I am just really confused about my religion and how they judge people based on the rules given.
Death for Cursing Parents
In Proverbs chapter 20 verse 20, it states, "If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. "
And in Leviticus chapter 20 verse 9, it states, " All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense."
Why would go resort to killing at a time like this? Is it really necessary? And what about forgiveness?In John chapter 1, verse 9, the bibles says,"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." So are we forgiven or not. I have not committed the above sins but my sister has. If killing is said in one testament and forgiveness is said in both testaments, which one should i believe? I am just so confused but i am glad i took time to write this post. It has really opened up my eyes to things i did not know. I feel like i have changed just by writing this. Hahaha but yes it has been a real eye opener.

